Long ago, the Hôtel de Gramont was first an hôtel particulier in the Saint-Augustin street. It was built in 1658 by a great royal finance governor called Nicolas Monnerot. Unfortunately, the man got deprived by Louis XIV and he was seized his mansion, that was later sold, on may 17th 1667, to a powerful lord close to the king, the Maréchal Antoine III de Gramont.
The property belonged to the Gramont family for almost a century. Maréchal Antoine III, and Antoine IV tremendously increased the size of the land by purchasing surrounding swampy plots, that they turn into quintessentially french gardens..
In 1725, the property spreads from Saint-Augustin still to the "Allée du Rempart", (former location of city wall, now become Boulevard des Italiens). At that time, above the boulevard were only fields and farms. The hôtel had a view over the Montmartre hill and its windmills (the basilique does not exist yet)!
On septembre 2nd 1763, the Comte Antoine (VIII ?) Armand de Gramont sold, by auction sale, the Hôtel de Gramont, including gardens and annexes. The abbé Pierre Clément, priest at Sorbonne, made the greatest offer and won the property. The sale also included the right, granted by the king to the Gramont family early in 1726, to open a new street extending the Saint-Anne street that will divide in 2 pieces the building of the hotel de Gramont (see approved project map).
Hence, in 1765 the new Gramont street, as well as the Ménars street (extending an existing cul-de-sac on Richelieu street) were opened. The abbé Clément and its financial partners could start a very trendy activity at that time, the dismemberment of the land. And as soon as 1789 the bases of the current Hôtel Gramont building was created.
Creditphoto : Archives Nationales